Baby K Maternity

Baby K Maternity

Saturday, October 23, 2010

And So It Begins

Well, we made it through the first week and what week it has been. Preparing for Connor’s arrival brought with it a lot of reading books, articles and talking to friends and family that have gone down this path before. However, while I got some great advice, nothing I was told compared to what it was really like.

Standing next to Kristin during the birth, listening to the heart rate drop, and watching the nurses storm our room with a sense of urgency, was something that I was not prepared for. My knees went weak and I felt my stomach begin to turn. It wasn’t until the doctor came in and took full control of the situation, looked me in the eye, and reassured me, that I felt confident in what was happening.

The first time I held my baby boy was a moment that is indescribable. It was by far one of the greatest moments of my life. I knew right then and there that from then on out my life is going to be filled with more joy than I can handle. He wasn’t even an hour old and I was already planning our first trip to Fenway.

So, we have been home an entire week now and it has been interesting. Our poor little guy has been dealing with jaundice so it has been a week full of Pediatrician visits and biliblankets. Inconvenient, yes, but Connor’s wellbeing is first and foremost. Unfortunately for us, there are many side effects of jaundice that have made for some extra challenges. Connor’s appetite has been sporadic, and by sporadic I mean he has the desire to cluster feed from 2am-7am. It seems every hour he is up trying to get mommy’s attention to tell her he is ready to feast. Lots of eating leads to lots of diaper changes (that’s my job; I figured it’s the least I can do). Needless to say, that makes for little sleep. Strangely, I find myself not minding having the extra duties, Connor is more than worth it.

All in all, it has been a challenging week but above all it has been the most amazing week of my life. If this week is any indication of how things are going to be from here on out I consider myself to be one of the luckiest individuals alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment