Baby K Maternity

Baby K Maternity

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Migraine

So this little gweeseling is giving me a headache. No, seriously, I am officially suffering from severe migraines because of my changing hormones. Here is what happened:
Friday evening we went to the Sheridan House Auction. It was a wonderful event but I wasn't able to really focus on it. While we were standing around during the silent auction I noticed that something was wrong with my vision. I couldn't see what I wanted to look at. It was as if I had looked at a bright light, and that spot was now blacked out in my vision. It was scary but I assumed it would go away. After sitting down for the main event my right hand started to go numb. It was strange because it affected one finger at a time. Of course mom was immediately alarmed and started checking certain vital signs. I was alarmed also because I couldn't formulate the words to tell them what was going on with me. The words literally were escaping me. I felt helpless not being able to communicate what I wanted to. This all resulted in a massive migraine that lasted until I went to bed. It was terrible. Even more terrible was that it happened the next night as well. Vision, numbness, speech, massive migraine. I had another dizzy episode Monday morning and thus I called my doctor and they rushed me in. The OB I saw said that the dizzy spell was probably from low blood sugar, but he was concerned about the other symptoms.He said that the baby was fine but he referred me to a neurologist whom I saw this afternoon. My very nice neurologist did a very thorough check-up that included testing every minute reflex, and had me walking all over the office to check balance. He said that everything seems fine (no further stroke symptoms) and that he is diagnosing it as textbook severe migraines. Not fun, no medication for me, but so much better than it could have been. It was very scary not knowing what it was. It is just another example of how every pregnancy is different.

I'm still not showing yet, but I will say when I woke up this morning, before I got out of bed, I could actually feel a little lump in my belly. I looked down and sure enough a had a little bump to the left of my belly button. It was surreal. After I got up and started moving around I tried to lay back down to show Tim, but it wasn't there anymore. I'm hoping that I'll catch the little hiding machine tomorrow morning so I can show Tim.

29 more days left with my students. Maybe the migraines aren't hormone related....middle schoolers I'm sure are more than enough to do that to the average person.

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well YEA! I got all nervous when mom called and told me about the numbness and the speech problem. I'm just glad I can be home for THREE months of your pregnancy!!!! Starting very soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Silly Girl,
    I've had horrible migraines as well. I will be praying for you. Please make sure to rest and EAT! My blood sugar was low as well, but as soon as I started eating more things started looking up, both with the dizziness and the migraines.
    Praying,
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting that the vision thing is supposed to be the "aura" that precipitates the migraine. I had never heard that before!! I"m glad it went well at teh doctor today. Hang in there. One day at a time!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still praying and more specifically. So happy you experienced the bump.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Take good care of yourself and Gweesling. Can't wait till the "bump" kicks and stretches. So glad to have this blogspot to check on you. Love & prayers...

    ReplyDelete
  7. jaja middle schoolers! i know! i was once a Reading teacher for a group of 6th graders! wow! good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember when I was a middle schooler! Hahaha. They probably feel the same way about teachers! Haha!

    ReplyDelete