Baby K Maternity

Baby K Maternity

Thursday, May 26, 2011

One Small Step

No, Connor's not walking....yet. I've come to the realization that Connor might just skip crawling all together, and that's fine. He can maneuver himself around on the ground and turn himself around, but he hasn't gotten the concept of tucking his knees under his belly to get himself mobile. On the other hand, he does understand putting one foot in front of the other to "walk" to the next place. He gets so excited sometimes he hop-walks. He can be holding on to hands or propped up under his arms, lean forward, and off he goes. He's strong. He's always been strong. I think part of it was the reflux working his stomach muscles, but I can also clearly remember physically being in pain when he would kick in utero. Who knows. I do know that he likes to stand at his play trays and just this past Sunday he actually let go of his tray and took one step to me. Woah! This was followed by throwing out his arms and falling (or maybe skydiving) toward the ground in my direction. I do not consider this walking, but I do consider it a "step" in the right direction....bahaha. Seriously, I was thrilled. He wanted me, he looked at me, and he stepped towards me. The game proceeded for a while, no more steps, but he would play, turn, arms out, and sky dive. It was hysterical! He's been reaching for me for a while, but recently he's been branching out, and letting others know he wants them by reaching to them to be held. Grandma Glenda got to experience this recently and she couldn't get enough.

Kaitlyn's Elementary School Promotion was last night and it gave me time to really reflect (it was a little long). While I sat there I could recall the day she was born with such clarity, and yet here I was looking at a young lady. It went fast. She'll be a Middle Schooler, she'll be a teenager soon, where did the time go? Each moment has to be treasured. How do I use this knowledge and apply it to my time with Connor? I truly want to enjoy this time make each milestone and moment special with our little miracle. In the moments I feel overwhelmed that my house is a mess, or that I have a million people to please, I need to slow down and remember that my priority is Connor. I read this poem recently and this is what stuck with me:

…The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,
For children grow up, I’ve learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
I’m rocking my baby and babies don’t keep.
~Ruth Hulbert Hamilton

No comments:

Post a Comment