Baby K Maternity

Baby K Maternity

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Caleb: One Month Old

A post by daddy:
 It has been a full month since our little man Caleb joined our family.  It has been a fun month.  I was lucky enough to be able to stay home from work for two weeks after Caleb was born.  I am grateful for this time because I got to spend a lot of time with both my boys just being dad.  Although I am having trouble calling them by their correct name (I am now simply calling them Big Buddy and Little Buddy), this past month has been great.  Several people I spoke with prior to Caleb’s birth told me that they found the transition from 1 child to 2 was more difficult than going from 0 to 1.  Knock on wood, to this point I don’t feel the same way.  I feel that our first month as a family of four has been a relatively easy transition.  It helps that Caleb has been sleeping a little better than Connor did/still does.  It also helps that we had a better idea of what to expect and how to deal with any issues we might face.  But most of all, I think the biggest factor is how well the two boys get along.


 We began prepping Connor to be a big brother immediately after we found out about Caleb.  We were confident he would respond well but were still unsure of what would happen when Caleb came and started garnering a lot of attention.  Thankfully, my Big Buddy wants nothing more than to dote on my Little Buddy.  Connor always wants to sit next to Caleb and asks constantly if he can hold “his” baby.  When Caleb cries, Connor is often the first one on the move to make sure everything is ok.  My favorite is when we are at the store; Connor always looks first for a toy for Caleb (before settling on one for him as well).  When we put the car seats in the car, Connor and Caleb were separated by the middle seat.  This was no good for Connor…”but mommy, I can’t reach him to hold his hand.”  Obviously, this didn’t last long and Caleb’s seat is now securely in the center right next to Connor.  Every time we drive anywhere as a family, a quick peak in the back seat reveals Connor holding Caleb’s hand as the both do their thing.  It is my prayer that as Connor grows, he always remembers that the bond he has with Caleb is one like no other.  He will always have a built in best friend.



 Well, its pageant season at FBC Ft. Lauderdale.  This year, a mere four years after Connor made his debut as Baby Jesus, he is back on stage singing “Happy Birthday Jesus.”  He has worked very hard to get to this point and we could not be more proud of him.  To make things even better, Caleb is following in the steps of his big brother.  This year, Caleb too will be playing the role of Baby Jesus.  Although Caleb didn’t have to work as hard as his big brother to be cast, we are still proud of our little guy.  The final dress rehearsal was last night.  This was Caleb’s first time on stage and it was awesome.  It brought me back to all the emotion I felt when Connor was used in this role.  It truly is amazing watching both my boys perform in roles that will be used in a manner that will bring glory to God and souls to Heaven.


 It’s been one month since our family became four.  In that month, I have experienced God’s blessing more than I could have wanted or expected. It isn’t always easy but my heart is most full when my arms are too.



No comments:

Post a Comment